Photowalk: Wakodahatchee Wetlands

Our afternoon at the Wakodahatchee wetlands in Delray Beach, Florida, was full of fun animal sightings, and Evan got some great photos. Here are some of my favorites:

We were greeted by a very pretty parrot at the entrance to the wetlands.

There was a giant alligator lounging in the sun with some turtles. They didn’t seem bothered.

We saw a bird (a hawk?) scoop up a fish with its talons and fly away with it.

There were two very large iguanas. One was colorful, the other wasn’t.

Check out more of the photos from Florida, including plenty of ducks, herons, turtles and egrets on Evan’s website.

6 Responses to “Photowalk: Wakodahatchee Wetlands”

1. Suzie says:

i went there too! but your pics look a little more interesting than mine do. I saw the parrot but didn’t get a pic, there was no bird with a fish in its mouth, i saw NO iguanas, and the alligator was half in the water…. but it was still a really pretty area

2. Francine says:

haha, good to hear the parrot was still there. We didn’t know if it was part of the wildlife or just belonged to someone because there was this shirtless man in a wheelchair and this woman with him who were carrying it around most of the time. And it looked like it was trying to escape when we were arriving–it was running down the railing of the walkway leading to the parking lot! We were super lucky with all the things we saw :)

3. Maryn says:

Iguanas! My favorite. I had one named Iggy who sat on my head for hours while I did homework :)

4. Francine says:

How cute! I think these would be a bit big for sitting on your head! :)

5. sharona says:

Nice photo’s…When I lived in Boynton Beach I visited Wakotahatchee on most days & miss it. Your bird is an Osprey ;-)

6. Francine says:

Thanks for telling me about the osprey! It was amazing to see it. Wakodahatchee was a beautiful place.